This document provides information and standards for trash, garbage and recycling procedures at the Townhomes on Capitol Hill (the “Townhomes”).
Regular Trash, Recycling and Bulk Pickup Schedule
See DC Department of Public Works’ (“DPW’) website for more details.
When a holiday falls on a trash and recycling collection day, collections will "slide" to the next day for the rest of the week after the holiday, through Saturday. For example, if the holiday falls on a Monday, DPW will collect Monday routes on Tuesday and so on through Saturday. In neighborhoods with twice-weekly trash collections, if the holiday occurs on a Monday, Monday and Thursday collections will be made Tuesday and Friday, and Tuesday and Friday collections will be made Wednesday and Saturday.
Trash and Recycling Collection Guidelines
- Place trash and recycling containers out for collection after 6:30 pm the night before collection or before 6:00 am on collection day. Members are required to remove trash and recycling containers from public space no later than 11:59 pm on the collection day.
- Bags may not be placed on the street. Members are required to use the designated trash and recycling containers when items are put out for collection. If, and only if, your container is full, you must place any additional trash in sealed plastic bags and recycling in paper bags, and set it next to the respective container.
- Between collections, members must store trash and recycling containers on their property. Containers must be outside your door or under your stairs and must not obstructing walkways.
- Trash and recycling containers may no longer be stored on the sidewalk. Failure to adhere to this policy will result in fines and penalties from Townhomes and/or the District of Columbia.
- All trash & recycling containers must have your address painted on them.
- All trash, including the trash in containers, must be securely bagged. Recycling should be placed in the recycle bin without a bag.
- Members are responsible for the general maintenance of the trash and recycling containers, including but not limited to washing out the containers as needed.
Bulk Pickup Guidelines
The Townhomes has contracted with a private company to remove bulk items on Tuesdays.
- All bulk items placed for removal must be marked with the unit address.
- Items should be placed on the curb for collection after 6:30 pm the night before collection (Monday) or before 6:00 am on the day of collection (Tuesday).
- Items that are not picked up by 6:00 pm on the collection day must be removed and returned inside your unit until the next scheduled pickup date.
- When a holiday falls on a bulk collection day, collections will resume the following Tuesday.
- Failure to adhere to this rule will result in fines and penalties from the Townhomes and/or the District of Columbia.
Members who do not adhere to the aforementioned rules and regulations will incur the following fines and penalties:
- Following the first incident, Member will be issued a written Notice of Violation.
- Following the second incident, Member will receive a written Notice of Violation and a $50 fine.
- Following the third incident, Member will receive a written Notice of Violation and a $100 fine. At this time, Member will be in default of the Proprietary Lease and termination proceedings will commence. In addition, Member will be deemed out of good standing and ineligible to receive tenure credits for that year.
- During this time, Member is still responsible for the carrying charge. Failure to pay the carrying charge will result in it and any other outstanding debts being withheld from Member’s share price distribution at move-out.
- Any fines incurred for violation of the policy must be paid by Member on or before the 5th day of the following month, i.e. a violation received on April 15th must be paid in full on or before May 5th.
The Townhomesand its manager, Corcoran Jennison (“Management”), will exercise due diligence and good faith when assessing a violation. A Member has the right to dispute a Notice of Violation. Disputes must be made in writingto the Townhomes Board of Directors via Management within 30 days of receipt of a Notice of Violation and Member must appear at the next Townhomes Board Meeting to present their dispute.